The Bradley House is one of the masterpieces of Prairie School design and is among Madison's most important architectural landmarks. The house was a present from Chicago plumbing magnate Charles Crane to his daughter Josephine and her husband Harold C. Bradley, a professor of chemistry at the UW. It is one of only a few residences designed in the office of Chicago architect Louis Sullivan, one of the greatest architects of all time. George Elmslie executed much of the design, which incorporated daringly cantilevered sleeping porches, raked brick joints, banded leaded glass windows, widely flaring eaves and beautiful Sullivanesque ornament. Severely damaged by fire in 1972, the house was restored by the Sigma Phi Society, its residents since 1914.
Designed by renowned architect Louis H. Sullivan, the Bradley House was completed in 1909 and became a National Historic Landmark in 1976.