A 2,468 foot tunnel was constructed in 1913 to shorten Brady’s Bend by over five miles. The tunnel was mainly constructed to avoid the dangerous turns at Brady’s Bend. It was created by using dynamite, having large wood braces inserted inside the tunnel for extra support. Tunnel construction was delayed by falling rocks, causing the project to take three years. With the tunnel no longer in use by the railroad because of flooding, the present owners of the tunnel plan on turning it into a connecting trail for Erie and Pittsburgh.