Duncan Glass Company
Built in 1893, the Washington plant of the Duncan Glass Company opened. The plant ran from 1893 to 1955. In 1900, the firm changed its name to Duncan & Miller Glass Company when John Ernest Miller became a stockholder of the firm. Duncan’s sons were involved in the firm also. Mechanical and foreign imports forced the company to close in 1955. The firm offered its remaining inventory to the public. People came hundreds of miles to buy the remaining handmade glass made by Duncan & Miller. The glass was offered to the public at largely reduced prices. The present-day site where the plant was located is the site of Pathways of SW PA, the Alpine Club, and Burger King. In 1975, the National Duncan Glass Society was formed. The Society preserves the heritage of George Duncan & Sons of Pittsburgh and the Duncan & Miller Glass Company of Washington. The Society maintains a museum in Washington dedicated to the glass company.