The centennial arch was a temporary structure that stood in 1910 for the 100th year celebration for the incorporation of the town of Washington into its own borough. Washington became a borough in 1810, meaning that it was given its own powers of local self-governance. In 1910, after 100 years of a successful borough, Washington citizens held a week-long celebration. The week of celebration included the arch, parades, services, historical lessons, and many other events. The arch was placed on Main Street, opposite of the county courthouse and played its role in the parades when people would march underneath of it.