Completed in 1893 and still standing today, the old gym at Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) has had a variety of uses over the past 125 years. Early on, the old gym was the college's main athletic facility and also served as a large gathering area for other events. For example, in 1916 former President William Howard Taft spoke to students and staff in the old gym about the country’s international relationships. During World War ll, the old gym was used by the Army Administration School, which had taken residence on campus, to train soldiers. After World War ll, the old gym turned into housing quarters for students, due to a rapid increase in enrollment. Today, the old gym is used as a modern fitness facility for students and faculty.