In 1897, the A.W. Acheson family built the first Washington Hospital within their farmhouse. In 1927, this farmhouse closed and a new Washington Hospital was built on Wilson Avenue with the merger of City Hospital and Washington Hospital. Wing “A” was added in 1941, as well as a new nurse’s residence. Every ten or so years a new wing was added, adding much more use and popularity to the hospital. In the late 1980s a new cancer treatment center was built giving residents the ability to receive radiation and chemotherapy without leaving their community. By 2009, the hospital had eight different wings, each with a different purpose. There is now a wellness and fitness center, a residential facility dedicated only to care of patients, the Ruth York Morgan Health Education Learning Place, and a critical care center.