Washington County Jail
The Washington County Jail was opened in 1899, and it was once located near the courthouse. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 30, 1974. The old jail began construction in 1896, and it was touted in the newspapers as "a modern day Bastille." The old jail was closed in 1996 with the opening of the new facility just a few blocks away.
Correctional Facility. Washington County Pennsylvania. . . http://www.co.washington.pa.us/116/Commitment-Report.