This attractive historic former post office was designed by U.S. Treasury Department architect James Knox Taylor in the Beaux Arts style, incorporating elements of the Renaissance and Neo-Georgian styles as well. It opened in 1904 after two years of construction and remained in operation until at least 1989. It is one of Taylor's most eclectic buildings and was built with higher quality (and more expensive) materials such as terra cotta. Another interesting feature is that there is a courtroom on the second floor, which was only used for 30 years. Currently, various businesses occupy the old building. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.