The lighthouse used a third-order Fresnel lens, which was manufactured in France. It emitted a flashing light every 90 seconds. This rate increased to every ten seconds in 1909. The living quarters for the keeper and assistant keeper and their families was designed in the High Victorian Gothic style. The foghorn was installed in 1921, although it was first requested in 1908. Management of the lighthouse was transferred from the U.S. Lighthouse Service to the Coast Guard in 1939. In 1958, the light was automated and Coast Guard personnel left. Golden Hill Park was established in 1962 but ownership of the lighthouse wasn't transferred to the New York State Office of Parks in 1984.