Historical Society of the Tonawandas
The Historical Society of the Tonawandas is located inside a historic 1886 New York Central Railroad station. The building served as a depot until 1922 and has served as a museum and library since 1964. The historical society welcome visitors and offer rotating museum exhibits as well as a local history and genealogy library with archival materials such as photographs, census records, and manuscripts. The museum grounds feature a monument to Civil War soldiers and sailors and a commemorative garden dedicated to veterans of WWI.
Backstory and Context
The station was used for a variety of purposes in the years that followed. It became an American Legion Post, a temporary school, and a public library. The Historical Society acquired the building in 1964 and it has been a museum ever since.
Photo: Historical Society of the Tonawandas