Second Tompkins County Courthouse
Constructed in 1854, this structure was the second courthouse building located on this site and is the oldest extant structure in Tompkins County. The building is situated directly adjacent to First Presbyterian Church. The courthouse was designed with elements of the Gothic Revival style with notable features that include the open-timber roof and the three-story tower. The building served as the home of the county government until 1923 when the current courthouse was completed. Today, the building is used by the Tompkins County Legislature.
Backstory and Context
Photo: Wikimedia Commons