Now over a century old, Bailey Hall is the largest auditorium on Cornell University's campus. Designed in the Greek Revival style by Cornell graduate Edward Brodhead Green, it was built in 1913 and is named after the first Dean of the College of Agriculture, Liberty Hyde Bailey, who guided the expansion of the College during his tenure between 1903-1913 (the college is now the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences). The building features typical Greek Revival elements such as a colonnaded portico (with Ionic columns) and a large staircase. It was renovated in 2006 to meet modern building codes, new mechanical systems and guests spaces were added in a three-story addition, and the number of seats was reduced to allow for larger, more comfortable chairs (the original chairs were made of wood). The hall is used for classes, performances, lectures, and other events. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Backstory and Context
"History of Bailey Hall." Cornell University. Accessed January 5, 2019. https://ccengagement.cornell.edu/bailey-hall/history.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons