This large brick and wood-frame house on a one-acre lot may have been built by James Butler Bowen in the 1830s. Legend has it that he built this and the house next door, known as Minnie Manor, for two of his unmarried daughters (he and his wife had nine). Bowen lived on Spring Creek north of Lewisburg where he operated a gristmill, sawmill, oil mill, and a carding machine.
Backstory and Context
Later owners included Mason and Mollie E. Bell. Mason Bell was a prominent Lewisburg merchant.
Talbert, James E. A Historical Look at Lewisburg, West Virginia's Hard Scrabble Hill And Beyond 1783-2007. Lewisburg, WV: Greenbrier Historical Society, 2007.
Woods Dayton, Ruth. Greenbrier Pioneers and Their Homes. Charleston, WV: WV Publishing Company, 1942.