Clio Logo

Started as a house church in 1855 to avoid the long trip downtown, it grew into one of the wealthiest and largest congregations in the city. Although its numbers declined throughout the 20th century, its social service programming grew, first in response to the influx of the Great Migration, particularly from Appalachia; then to the poverty and mental health issues that the changing neighborhood's residents battled during an era of urban decay. Still an active church and part of the Episcopal Diocese of Southern Ohio, Advent's small congregation continues to embrace the surrounding neighborhood in multiple ways.