The Geneva Armory is home to A Troop 2 Squadron of the 101st Cavalry of the Army National Guard. The historic building was first built in 1892 and expanded in size in 1906, giving it its current castle-like appearance with two towers, the taller one of which is 4.5 stories high. The armory is significant for its Late Victorian and castle architecture and for the military presence it provided to the city and region. For these reasons, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.
Backstory and Context
Unlike armories around the country, which were proving to be inadequate (in general, space to expand was limited for newer military vehicles, which had become larger), the National Guard has continued to use Geneva Armory for its original purpose. It remains an important landmark for the community.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons