Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1969 as the Vermontville Chapel and Academy, this building is now home to the Vermontville Historical Museum. Members of the museum work to preserve and share the history of the community and the surrounding area through programs and exhibits. Operated by the Vermontville Historical Society, the museum features various historical artifacts and memorabilia on display. The museum opened 1966 and the building is owned by the First Congregational Church.
The building was erected with the intent that it be an academy and a Congregational church. It was built in phases beginning in 1844 at its original location just to the west. Church services ended in 1864 when a new church was built across the street. Sometime in c.1869, the academy was relocated to its current spot. Until the museum opened, the Church used the building for prayer, social gatherings, and theatrical performances.