Most urban communities enjoyed mail home delivery since the Civil War, but rural regions had to travel to the nearest postal office, which routinely involved a lengthy trip. However, on December 3, 1896, Climax received the state’s first Rural Free Delivery (RFD) service, a system comprised of the government paying mail carriers began to deliver mail to rural areas at no additional charge. Two postmen, Lewis Clark and Willis Lawrence, delivered the mail, one by horse and buggy and the other via bicycle.
In 1931, Lawrence built the post office building that would serve the town for most of the middle part of the 20th century. After Lawrence's wife, Jette, died in 1963, the family bequeathed the building to the Village of Climax, who subsequently turned it into a local library and history center (another post office building was constructed and opened in 1964).
Visitors today will see the building's stone-veneer structure built in 1931, the twenty-four-by-twenty-foot annex built in 1975, and the addition built in 1990 with a Neo-Greek Revival design.