Amos B. Coe House
Constructed in 1884, the Amos B. Coe House is a historic home in the Stevens Square neighborhood of Minneapolis. It is one of the few examples remaining in the city of Queen Anne architecture. A carriage house was built in 1886. Most recently, it was to the be home of the Minnesota African American Museum and Cultural Center, which was founded in 2008 by Roxanne Givens. However, financial difficulties and other issues (the contractors were never paid and sued the museum) prevented renovations from being completed and unfortunately the museum apparently never opened to the public. As of early 2017, plans are in the works to convert the building into apartments. The Coe House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Backstory and Context
Kudzia, Camille. "Amos B. Coe House." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. January 12, 1984. http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/nrhp/nomination/84001418.pdf.
Golden, Eric. "After lawsuit, Minnesota African American Museum building sold at public auction." September 22, 2015. http://www.startribune.com/after-lawsuit-african-american-museum-building-sold-at-public-auction/328...
Roper, Eric. "Minneapolis house previously slated for black history museum to become apartments." Star Tribune. September 14, 2016. http://www.startribune.com/house-previously-slated-for-black-history-museum-to-become-apartments/393...
Photo: McGhiever, via Wikimedia Commons