Saugatuck-Douglas History Center
Founded in 1986 the Saugatuck-Douglas History Center preserves and promotes the history of the local community and surrounding region. The organization operates the Saugatuck-Douglas History Museum and the Old School House (also referred to as the Douglass Union School). The museum opened in 1992 and is housed in the historic Saugatuck Pump House, which was built in 1904.
Backstory and Context
The museum features permanent and special exhibits that change throughout the year. The museum also maintains a small art gallery and the Center's archives and research center. The organization also operates a website that provides access to digitized resources and a catalog of the holdings of the research center. Both buildings are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Center also offers a wide variety of educational programs which are described on its website.
"The 1866 Old School House." Saugatuck-Douglas History Center. Accessed December 9, 2018. http://sdhistoricalsociety.org/sites/schoolhouse/schoolhouse.php.
Photos: Saugatuck-Douglas History Center