Ida Lewis (Lime Rock) Lighthouse
The Ida Lewis (Lime Rock) Lighthouse’s first station keeper was Hosea Lewis, appointed on November 15, 1853. Lewis originally had to row 200 yards to reach the lighthouse before a small one-room building was built on Lime Rock to be followed by a permanent dwelling in 1855. Hosea was station keeper until 1857 when he had a stroke and was permanently disabled and died in 1872. After Hosea’s death, his wife and two daughters (Ida Lewis being one) were left to care for the lighthouse. However, the second daughter was very sick and unable to do much leaving much of the work to Ida. Finally, in 1879 with assistance from Senator Ambrose Burnside, Ida was appointed lighthouse keeper after her mother resigned.
Backstory and Context
“Ida Lewis: The Newport Heroine”. Harpers Weekly. (New York) July 31, 1869. Date accessed October 29, 2018. http://www.rhodeislandlighthousehistory.info/lime_harpers_toc.html
Penberthy, Bryan. Ida Lewis (Lime Rock) Lighthouse. US Lighthouse. December 16, 2012. Accessed October 29, 2018. https://www.us-lighthouses.com/ida-lewis-lighthouse.
Fig. 1. “Ida Lewis Lighthouse” by United States Coast Guard. 2007.
Fig 2. “Ida Lewis”. By George Alfred Williams. 2011.