Captain Joseph Keyes House / Oldest House in Lake Mills
This Lake Mills landmark is the oldest house remaining in Lake Mills. It was built in 1843 by Captain Joseph Keyes, the founder of Lake Mills. In 1849 it was sold to the Phillips family who made numerous additions over the years. An extensive farm was connected to this dwelling and from 1905-1951, a commercial dairy operated on the property.This two-story clapboard house is built in the Greek Revival style.
Backstory and Context
1849-sold to the Phillips Family-Jonathan, Charles, William
1921-Robert Ferry (son-in-law to Phillip's family)
Residents: Conner T. Hansen, Wisconsin Supreme Court Judge (Mrs. Hansen was daughter of Robert Ferry)
Residents: Jospeh and Peg Storrs