This two-story painted brick building was the "western part" of The Bell Tavern that was thought to have been built before 1823 and has since been demolished. This building may have been built by John Weir, noted architect and brick mason. In addition to having been part of the adjacent tavern, it was a store house and was occupied by a saddle shop in 1879.
Backstory and Context
This building once had a second floor balcony with a wrought iron railing that was described by local historian Ruth Wood Dayton as "delicate in design." When it was removed it was one of the last attractive balconies along Washington Street.
The building is now occupied by Greenbrier Real Estate.
Woods, Dayton Ruth. Lewisburg Landmarks. Charleston, WV: Education Foundation, Inc., 1957.
Woods, Dayton Ruth. Greenbrier Pioneers And Their Homes. Charleston, WV: West Virginia Publishing Company, 1942.