Temple B'Nai Israel
Originally built as a Masonic Hall in 1927, this striking building was sold in 1940. Its new owners, the Jewish congregation Aheyu B’Nai Israel (Brethren Sons of Israel), converted it into a synagogue. The congregation had been active since 1889. Though initially Orthodox, it became Conservative in 1924, prompting some members to leave and form their own congregation (Tephereth Israel). In 2007, the synagogue closed. The building is now home to New Hope at Calvary Church.
Backstory and Context
Crabtree was an active local architect, also responsible for designing the Francis H. Holmes House (New Britain) and the Universalist Church (West Hartford).
Ransom, David. "Historic Synagogues of Connecticut." National Register of Historic Places, Multiple Property Documentation Form, U.S. Dept. of the Interior, NPS. 1995. Accessed November 26, 2018. https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NRHP/64500078_text.