Margaret Sanger Clinic, 1930-1973
Envoid- the "magic pill"
This circular advertised the opening of America's first birth control clinic, at Margaret Sanger's home
At this location, Sanger operated the Birth Control Research Bureau from 1930 to 1973. These row homes were built in 1847 and in 1993, Bill Clinton approved a measure making #17 a National Historical Landmark
Backstory and Context
Margaret Sanger worked as a nurse in New York and became overwhelmed by the high infant mortality rates. In 1912, she left nursing to pursue her birth control advocacy. She wrote many articles about female sexuality, all were turned away due to the Comstock Act, which prevented sending obscene material through the mail. In 1914, Stanger fled to Europe to avoid charges, and she became an international figure. In the same year, she coined the term "birth control".
Sanger established the American Birth Control League in 1921-the organization that grew to become the Planned Parenthood Federation of America.. In 1923, Sanger organized the Birth Control Clinical Research Bureau and worked to create and provide women with information regarding contraception. In 1950, Sanger's organization underwrote efforts to create a pill that could prevent pregnancy and would be safe to use. With the help of Gregory Pincus, a medical expert on human reproduction, that pill was eventually developed but was not legal until 1965, when Planned Parenthood won a victory in the US Supreme Court case Griswold v. Connecticut. At age 81, Sanger celebrated the Supreme Court victory that brought with it the repeal of the law barring oral contraception. Sanger passed away the following year.