The Stackpole, Moore, and Tryon name arose in 1909 when the group became tenants of the building, replacing Willis and Wilson, who occupied it at the time of the cast iron addition. One will also find a plate at the base of the engaged column east of the store entrance with the words, Lincoln & Co., the shop which manufactured the cast-iron front.
While tenants have come and gone, the last sale of the premises occurred in 1852 when Mary G. Arnold sold the property to Timothy M. Allyn for $4,000. Although the deed makes no mention of any structure located on the land, the price indicates a building stood on the property. For sure, the building arose before 1869 as a city atlas in 1869 includes the structure that now deemed historic.
Cast-iron architecture grew popular in New York during the late 1800s, with its primary function as facades for commercial buildings. Initially, cast-iron facades were a simple post and lintel design but quickly transitioned to the more popular and ornate Italianate style. Toward the end of the century, as demonstrated by the Stackpole, Moore and Tryon building, fluted columns, Ionic volutes, and other features associated with the Beaux-Arts style began to dominate, largely a result of the influence of the 1893 Chicago Columbian Exposition.