Backstory and Context
Dey hall was built by architects McMinn, Norfleet, and Wicker in 1962. William Morton Dey graduated from the University of Virginia. Dey went on to earn a doctorate from Harvard University. During his time at Harvard, Dey studied French Romantic literature.
Dey joined the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill as faculty in 1909 as a professor of romance languages and literature Dey went on to chair the romance languages and literature department for forty years. Dey Hall was originally built for the foreign language departments. Dey Hall now houses the English and Comp Literature, Germanic Slavic Language Literature, Linguistics, and Romance Studies Departments.
Dey Hall was the last building built on Polk Place. Dey Hall was built in a colonial revival design. All buildings in Polk Place are built in the same architectural design of colonial revival.
Names in Brick and Stone: Histories from UNC's Built Landscape. UNC History. Accessed November 08, 2018. http://unchistory.web.unc.edu/prsp-record/dey-hall/.
.UNC History, UNC History, http://unchistory.web.unc.edu/prsp-record/dey-hall/.
The Carolina Story: A Virtual Museum of University History, The Carolina Story: A Virtual Museum of University History, https://museum.unc.edu/exhibits/show/names/dey-hall
William Morton Dey (1880-1961) and Dey Hall. The Carolina Story: A Virtual Museum of University History. Accessed November 08, 2018. https://museum.unc.edu/exhibits/show/names/dey-hall.
2012 Gladys Hall Coates University History Lecture. UNC Library. . Accessed November 07, 2018. https://library.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2012_hillis.pdf.