Erected in 1908, Boone County Courthouse is a fine example of Georgian Revival architecture. It is one of the largest and most expensive buildings in the county and still functions as the seat of county government. The courthouse is the second one built; the first was constructed in 1871 and was a wood-frame structure. It was designed by architect Charles Thompson, who was the state's most prominent architect at the time. Situated on a prominent square in the center of the city, the courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.