Constructed in 1907, St. Leo's Hall was the first structure built by Fr. Michael McInerney, an architect and professed Benedictine monk of Belmont Abbey. In his design McInerney employed the hallmarks of what became known as the American Benedictine architectural style, a distinct approach for which he would win significant acclaim. St. Leo's design inspired many of his future creations. During his remarkable career Fr. McInerney built over 200 churches, monasteries, convents, hospitals, and other structures.1
St. Leo’s Hall takes its name from St. Leo the Great, the patron saint of Abbot Leo Haid, the first abbot of Belmont Abbey and key figure in the history of Catholicism in North Carolina.
Today, St. Leo’s houses a variety of campus spaces: Grace Auditorium, the Career Services Office, The Catholic Shoppe, and the College Bookstore.
In 1993 St. Leo’s Hall was recognized by the United States’ Register of Historic of Places as part of the Belmont Abbey College Historic District.