In 1914, the name of the school changed to Maryland Normal and Industrial School at Bowie to reflect the curriculum that prepared teachers for the classroom and also offered various vocational training courses for a small student body of approximately sixty students. The school grew over time, but the Goodloe home is the only building that remains from this early period.
In 1935, the state renamed the school Maryland Teachers College at Bowie to reflect its growth and new four-year degree programs in addition to the two-year and three-year programs that had been offered in the previous decades. In 1963, the name of the institution changed again to Bowie State Colege to reflect the creation of accredited liberal arts degrees. The college began offering M.A. degrees in the coming years and the name changed to Bowie State University in 1988 to reflect its status as a university with multiple colleges from education and business to liberal arts.