Backstory and Context
In 1929, Ludlow and Peabody architects built this collegiate Gothic style building. This building is located in the center of campus and contains primarily offices and classrooms for the humanities and social sciences departments. It also includes Allen Auditorium, named for former professor Jean Allen who taught biology for many years. Elements of Warfield Hall that mimic those of the collegiate gothic style consist of dormers, a limestone exterior, a Tudor style doorway, buttresses and gables. The building's original name was Recitation Hall but was renamed in memory of Dr. Ethelbert Warfield, College president from 1915-1936.