Erected in 1908, this monument indicates the possible location of Fort Rutledge, a log fort built by Patriots early in the Revolutionary War in September 1776. The 300-strong garrison was under the command of General Andrew Williamson, who was leading a campaign against the Cherokees allied with Britain.
On August 12, Williamson ordered an attack on a Cherokee settlement near the present-day town of Tamassee. The Patriots routed the Cherokee force. Not long after the battle, the two sides clashed again and once more the Patriots defeated the Cherokee. The men returned to the Cherokee settlement town of Seneca and built Fort Rutledge. It was named after John Rutledge, who was President of South Carolina at the time (he would serve as Governor from 1779 to 1782). The Patriots would control the fort until 1780 when they surrendered to Loyalists.