Hillcrest Arms was built as a hotel with 245 apartments in 1929. It was designed by architect Alfred A. Hahn, Sr. for owner C. O. Mingier in the Romanesque and Mediterranean Revival styles, complete with low-pitched corner pavilions and brick and terra cotta façades. The building came in at a final cost of two million dollars. The hotel closed due to financial strains in 1990. It reopened for a time as an interdenominational Christian center, but a fire in 1994 led to its closure. Preservationist prevented the demolition of the building to make way for a parking lot in the mid-1990s. In 1998, the city and Alexander Company joined forces to convert the structure into a modern apartment building.