In May of 1878, Thomas J. Wilson opened the first saloon in Fort Collins just west of Collins House on Jefferson Street. He named it Bon-Ton Billiard Hall. This establishment sold wines, liquors, cigars, and the choicest brands of beer. It also had 3 Brunswick and Balke billiards tables for the entertainment of its customers. Due to anti-saloon and anti-alcohol sentiment, Bon-Ton Billiard Hall eventually had to close its doors.