In 1969 Campus West Liquors was one of the first liquor stores to open after prohibition legally ended in Fort Collins. Founded by Fort Collins’ former liquor inspector, Red Ferrell, it opened and has remained at 1107 City Park Avenue.
In 1969 Campus West Liquors was one of the first liquor stores to
open after prohibition legally ended in Fort Collins. Founded by Fort Collins’
former liquor inspector, Red Ferrell, the store opened at 1107 City Park Avenue in
October, just months after alcohol had been legalized on April 8, 1969.
Prior to the liquor store opening, Fort Collins’ residents
would have to drive to bars outside of the city limits to have
hard liquor. The opening of Campus West represented the end of an era for Fort Collins as the city
entered into the future and exchanged a dry town for a wet city. In fact, Fort Collins would eventually be known as the “Napa Valley of Beer,” be home to the “brewmuda triangle” (New Belgium, Odell, and Fort Collins
Brewery) and produce 70% of all beer in Colorado.
If anyone is further interested in this store or time
period, they can look at newspaper articles from the Windsor Beacon dated April
10th and July 21st, 1969. They include information on the
vote that allowed for alcohol to be served in Fort Collins and the 4 liquor
licenses approved after Fort Collins allowed hard liquor. One can also look at the 1970 Fort Collins’ directory if they
want to see the first time Campus West Liquors was listed as a business in