Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this historic structure was once Sarasota's waterworks station. Designed in the Mediterranean Revival style, it was constructed in 1926 to accommodate the city's growing demand for water as well as to ensure high water pressure to fight fires (a major fire in 1915 destroyed several buildings on Main street). Fortunately, the building has been well maintained and is now the home to Waterworks Sarasota, a social and business club. It appears that all of the water pumping equipment has been removed.
Backstory and Context
Kearns, Sarah L. "City Waterworks." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. April 23, 1984.