The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception was built in 1860. The parish was established 24 years earlier and the parishioners built the Cathedral of St. Augustine which served the congregation between 1840 and a fire in 1859. In 1860, Rev. Julian Benoit erected a third church and named it the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary. There is also a small museum housed in the basement of the adjacent MacDougal Chapel a few blocks north of Cathedral Square.