Sarasota County Courthouse
Constructed between 1926 and 1927 and designed by influential local architect Dwight Burns in the Mediterranean Revival Style, this historic courthouse has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1984. The courthouse was needed following the creation of Sarasota County in 1921 by residents who supported separation from Manatee County and the leaders of the state of Florida. This decision reflected the growth around Sarasota Bay and led to the partition of Manatee County. At this time, Sarasota was best known as the winter home of the Barnum and Bailey Circus.
Backstory and Context