Woodlawn Cemetery was founded by local businessmen in 1876 and is one of only thirty “rural cemeteries” in the United States. The rural cemetery movement of the mid-1800s called for cemeteries designed to be beautiful and park-like, as opposed to many existing graveyards in the U. S. and Europe that were overcrowded and neglected. The 160-acre Woodlawn Cemetery was originally laid out outside the city limits of Toledo, though the city has since grown up around it. The cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998 and includes 65,000 internments and over forty mausoleums.
The Woodland Arboretum adds to
the emphasis on nature in the cemetery. It features over 3,000 trees. Many are
over a hundred years old, and nine have been honored with the title “Ohio
Champions” by the Ohio Forestry Association.