John Mishler Weaving Mill
The John Mishler Weaving Mill today, which features mechanical looms from as early as 1895.
Backstory and Context
John Mishler (born Johann Mischler) and his wife Rosina Beyeler were born in Switzerland in 1852. They came to the United States in 1882 and settled in Smithville, Ohio. Because John was a weaver, he decided to build a mill that would produce rugs and carpets. The looms in the mill were originally operated by hand, though they updated to steam and diesel power over the years. Keeping ahead of the times, the Mishler Mill became the first business in town operated by electricity around 1915. The mill also began to weave cloth for dishtowels and fruit presses and was the only producer of cheesecloth for the Swiss cheese industry in the U. S. After John’s death in 1930, his son Daniel took over and moved the mill near its present location. Charles Norris purchased the mill in 1983 and later sold it to the Smithville Community Historical Society in 1993, who then restored it.
Mishler Weaving Mill. Ohio.org. Accessed October 10, 2018. http://www.ohio.org/destination/historic-sites/mishler-weaving-mill.