In 1924, the Atlanta Women's Club thought that the market could use a more suitable place for the vendors to sell their products. So Nellie Peters Black and the rest of the Women's Club raised $300,000 for a brand new fireproof brick building. The new market opened on May 1, 1924 as the Municipal Market. The Market continued to flourish throughout the 1940s and 1950s, along with the rest of the neighborhood. Unfortunately, Jim Crow Laws forced African Americans to a small strip between downtown and the neighborhood to the east. By this time it had turned into more than just a place to pick up your groceries. This market turned into a place where people of equal opportunities could meet in peace. In the time period between 1920 and 1960, it was an issue for people of different races to be seen together. The only place that white and black people could be together in harmony was the train station, and now The Sweet Auburn Market. Blacks and whites were treated equally here, which was unheard of in the South.
The Sweet Auburn Curb market was considered revolutionary in the Civil Rights era, because when people of different races entered the market, the color of their skin was not considered. People bought from the African Americans without the prior biases, and that was different than what people were used to. The Sweet Auburn Curb Market was a great move in the right direction towards racial equality in the South.