Known for being one of the first colleges fully administered by African Americans. Central State University originally operated as a single department in the historical University of Wilberforce. Wilberforce University was started in 1856. The University was sponsored by African Methodist Episcopal Church. Central State would become its own independent school in 1887.
Galloway Hall was first constructed in 1906. Just 19 years after the University established its independence from Wilberforce. Galloway hall was one of the first buildings on campus. The original stood as one of the most historical buildings on campus. Until, a tornado hit Central State in 1974. April 3, 1974, a tornado ransacked half of CSU's campus including the original Galloway Hall. School administration came together and raised money to get the building rebuilt. Although, the original Galloway Hall is no longer in existence. The remodeled version is still a great reminder of its history on the CSU campus.