15 N 6th Avenue (formerly Sherman Street)
The W. Long sidewalk stone is a mystery. Research has found that no person by that name ever lived here. The property and home were owned beginning in 1882 until 1964 by several generations of the Lavassor family. Information from census records and phone books show that Lavassors lived there through the years. J.M. Long, shoemaker, at Station 1 on Louisiana Street had a son, William Long. We don’t know where he lived. Was the stone moved here later and why would it have been moved if no one by the name of W. Long lived there? Perhaps someone rescued it and placed it here to protect it and make us wonder?
This site is part of the
Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin sidewalk stones project of Ginny Haen, Assistant
Curator, Door County Historical Museum.1