The Latham House a two-story center hall with a high basement Greek Revival Style House built in 1850. This historic house is in Plymouth, Washington County, North Carolina. During the Civil War – the Battle of Plymouth, the Latham House was a refuge for the citizens. In 1976, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Latham House build by Charles Latham in 1850. He was an
attorney, legislator and a sheriff. The Latham was
a wealthy family, and the home met the part. During the Civil War- the Battle
of Plymouth, the citizens of Plymouth used the basement as a refuge. The
basement had a kitchen and a smoke room.
During the Battle of
Plymouth, the Latham House was hit with
a musket ball. The hole remains in the house today. Until 1973, Charles Latham
descendants still lived in the Latham House.