The Stone County Museum is operated by volunteers in a historic school built in 1928. This public school replaced the private Stone County Academy and served children of all grades until another school was built a decade later. This building was used as a school until the 1980s. n December 2004, the building was placed on the Arkansas Register of Historic Places. In the spring of 2006, the museum was expanded to include a larger research room and more space for Stone County artifacts donated or on loan to the museum.