The Harris-Kearney House was built in 1855 by early settlers, John and Henrietta Harris. The home was in the midst of the Battle of Westport during the Civil War and used as headquarters for the Union Army. It is the oldest remaining brick home in Kansas City. It serves as the headquarters of the Westport Historical Society which was formed in the 1950s. The Society offers tours of the building along with other historical sites throughout the area. It also operates a local history library and special events, evening lectures, and dinners.