In 1925, the school paved the way for what would become known as a laboratory school, an elementary school where future teachers could learn their craft from experienced teachers under the watchful eye of their professors. The college also offered the first collegiate aviation program for women in 1944. The program was located at Columbia Municipal Airport from 1941 until 1960. The former airport is now the location of Cosmo Park. Nancy Corrigan, the second American woman to secure a commercial pilot license, was among the instructors. She also taught male aviators during the war.