The land where this home stands today was once owned by Richard and Julia Tucker. Their large, ornate dwelling was reduced to ashes by Orange City's most devastating fire in 1908. The Tuckers moved to a new home across Oak Avenue and sold the burnt land. The land laid fallow for nine years before a new home would be constructed in its place.
Records show Hugh C. and Jane P. Murray, from Willimantic Connecticut, purchased Lots 1, 2, & 3 of Block 14 from A. Boyd Smith and Lois Robinson Smith in January 1917. By March 28, a newspaper announced the Murray's new home would be built by J.H. Bates and Sons, a DeLand architect and builder. Bates and Sons were also busy constructing the new Melissa Dickinson Memorial Library during the same time.
The Murray's were prominent members of the community. After her husband's death, Jane became a winter resident of Orange City. She was known for her generous donations to the First Congregational Church of Orange City, which included an extension of the church sanctuary to house a donated organ and also a gift to build the parish house.