Tuckahoe Neck Meeting House
Backstory and Context
The Quakers began refusing membership to slave owners in the late 18th century, and by 1790, each of the Quaker congregations in the Eastern Shore of Maryland had no slave-owning members. By the early 1800s, a growing number of Quakers called for an end to slavery and some even helped slaves escape their captors by covertly sheltering people as they moved from one safe house to the next along an informal network of like-minded people that came to be known as the Underground Railroad.
The Tuckahoe Neck Meeting House was restored in 2006 by the Caroline County Historical Society. The Caroline County Historical Society received an anonymous grant in 2006 after preservation efforts in 2002 were stopped due to funding issues. The Tuckahoe Neck Meeting House is now one of 36 historical sites on the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway self-guided tour.
Owens, Clay. Tuckahoe meeting house facelift nears completion. The Star. June 09, 2006. Accessed September 10, 2018. https://www.stardem.com/news/tuckahoe-meeting-house-facelift-nears-completion/article_42dd3077-b667-....
Tuckahoe Neck Meeting House. Caroline County Historical Society. . Accessed September 10, 2018. http://www.carolinehistory.org/places/tuckahoe-neck-meeting-house/.
Tuckahoe Neck Meeting House-Living Their Beliefs. Historical Marker Project. December 04, 2014. Accessed September 10, 2018. https://www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1I5N_tuckahoe-neck-meeting-house-living-their-beli....
33. Tuckahoe Neck Meeting House. Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway. . Accessed September 10, 2018. http://harriettubmanbyway.org/tuckahoe-neck-meeting-house/.