Shortly after the American Civil War ended, Reverend William McComas, Mr. Gill, and others were walking to church on Sunday morning on State Rt. 10. As they were walking to church, which was fairly far away, they passed by a small valley closer to their home than their original church and one of them suggested that the valley would be a suitable place for a church. After discussing it among themselves, they decided to build a church in the valley the two men had passed, and so the Salt Rock United Methodist Church was born. Rev. William McComas, who owned the land, donated the property to the new church, and the surrounding community came together to farm logs for the building.
Around 1890, the Salt Rock United Methodist Church decided to tear down the log building and build a new frame church. This new church was used for around 60 years until the church had grown beyond the size of their small frame church building. In response to this, the church decided to build another building to replace the frame church in the 1950s.
The Salt Rock United Methodist Church came together in 2010 and made the decision to become a community church. It was at that time that the Salt Rock Community Church was born, replacing the original Methodist congregation and using the same church building.