Built in 1856, the Long-A-Coming Depot/Berlin Railroad Station is the oldest existing railroad station in New Jersey.
The Berlin Train Station is the oldest existing station in New Jersey. It is
listed on the New Jersey (# 3017, Dec. 30, 1996) and National Register of
Historic Places (#97000063, Feb. 14, 1997).
The Camden and Atlantic Railroad Company laid a single rail line in 1853
that ran parallel to the main road between Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and
Atlantic City, New Jersey. The Long-A-Coming Station, as it was originally
called, was built in 1856 of Italianate architecture. A hotel and tavern were
within walking distance of the station to make it an ideal place for a stop.
On February 5, 1867, the station was renamed Magnolia. This
caused much confusion because the town of Magnolia was nearby. So, three months
later, on May 7, the town name and the station name were changed to Berlin.
There are no records of why that name was chosen.
The first Station Agent was Joseph L. Thackara. Other residents who served
as agents were Howard C. Sharp, Mr. Brace, Henry N. Gillon, David R. Lee,
Herbert R. Snyder, and John W. Green. The station was used for both passengers
After some heavy rail traffic in the early years, the depression and
increase of automobiles caused train travel to decline. By the 1960s the
railroad that had grown to a double track was reduced back to a single line and
stations were closed and removed. The Berlin Station was closed in 1969. It
stood empty until 1994 when the members of Long-A-Coming Historical Society
restored it. The restoration took 2 years to complete. The railroad allowed the
station to remain on its original spot and leases it to the town for $1 per
year with a 99-year lease. It is the meeting place for the Long-A-Coming
Historical Society and serves as a museum.